The world is not out of the pandemic yet and everyone is still sitting at home keeping safe and of course, to flatten the curve.For a lot of people, sit-at-home does not mean a holiday but work has to still go on.
How do you balance working from home with all the distractions? One obviously is the kids and every other thing that can come in between work, especially when you have deadlines to meet, just like you were working from your office.
How do you also avoid procrastination, to ensure that you do the work that you have to do, when you have to do them?
Here are 6 tips that will sure help you work effectively from home and avoid procrastination.
1. Maintain your Routine : Wake up early, set up a schedule, get ready for work. You may be laid back doing this as you have no bus to catch, traffic jam to beat or a meeting to attend at 9.am, but keep your body in working regime.Plan your business hours the same way as if you were working from your office.
2. Create Physical Boundaries if possible: Choose a place in your home that you will designate exclusively for your work.You can physically make this separate from the rest of the house.If you have a study or an extra space, that is great as that could pass for your home office.It can be labelled so and the kids will know that it is a no-go zone.
3. Create a daily To-Do-List- It’s important you do this to stay on track and avoid feeling overwhelmed.Quickly jot down what needs to be done during a particular workday then number each of them in order of priority.When the day is gone, immediately transfer anything that you didn’t accomplish to the next day’s list to ensure that nothing slips through the cracks.
4. Set office hours- To foster work-life balance, you need to create a schedule.Set a rule that your work hours is between 9am-12pm for example and stick with that.Avoid any distractions during that period and close up and (go home) afterwards.Feel free to choose your most productive time, it could be in the morning or later in the day. Either way, you would have the other time to spend with your family, they will be happy and you will be more productive.This could help you utilise the time you are not working
5. Dress Up: Avoid working in your pyjamas as this kills your productivity. “Dress up for success” and wear make up too. Beyond psychologically getting you in the right mindset for work, you’ll be ready to handle any kind of video chat or check in with a team mate.You will be prepared to get work done and you will be mentally and physically prepared for the day.Even if you don’t leave the house, dress for work as if you were in the office.
6. Take Short Breaks– It is very easy to get stuck on your computer or phone when working.Regular breaks will help refresh your brain and bring it back to efficiency mode, afterall, this you would have done while working from the office.Working from home doesn’t mean non-stop work without using the bathroom, snacking up or taking a short walk.
These are amongst the very many ways to work effectively and stay productive while working from home.The above points will suffice and are easy to implement right away.
In no time, the pandemic will be over, everything will get back to normal and hopefully, we can get back to our work environment.
Also ensure you get ready for the major shift that will take place all over the world especially in the way work and business is done.